Don't get me wrong, I believe that art has the potential to be amazing and beautiful and insightful and all that fun stuff, but times like today just remind me of why I was never the biggest fan of making it myself.
Let's start off with waking up today. I woke up 20 minutes past when I wanted to wake up. I'm not even kidding - last night, when I set my alarm for 6:20 (30 minutes earlier than usual because I wanted to take a shower... and I almost never shower in the morning. I'd rather get more sleep than look all fancy... all I'm doing is moping through an 11 hour school day anyway), I literally said out loud several times "You can only hit snooze ONCE. Snooze ONCE. Snooze ONCE..." And how many times did I hit snooze? Twice. So I get downstairs to find my dad awkwardly standing by the bathroom door looking at me, and I realize he needs the shower, too. So I tell him I need to leave the house in fifteen minutes so he lets me take my quick shower first. I had planned ahead of time to let my hair air-dry for he first time in ages because I knew it was going to be raining and kind of humid...
Now, my hair is the most uncooperative bunch of dead cells you will EVER meet. Beautiful? Yes, when I fight with it enough. Cooperative is a NO. My friend was playing with it this summer and told me that it has a mind of its own. You can TRY to make it do what you want it to, but it will just return to whatever it actually wants to do as soon as you stop paying attention. It's ridiculous. Plus, I have a bunch of short fly-aways on the sides of my head parallel to my eyes that haven't grown since I was about three or four years old, and all they do is curl like my hair used to curl when I was little. If all of my hair curled, I wouldn't mind it, but my hair is evil enough to not be that simple. It needs to be humid for most of my hair to be decently wavy, or (if I'm lucky) curly. The bottom-most hair gets REALLY curly without me doing anything to it, as do the ends of my hair. The rest of it needs to be helped out with some primping and crimping. Today, for the first time since probably September or so, I let my hair air dry and it waved decently. My hair was alive, and it was so amazing, because I'm SO tired of all of the static from winter, so that just put me in an AMAZING mood from the get-go today. (I just realized this, but *note: Remember this bit about how my hair cooperating affected my mood... the reference will come back.)
So I get to school, go through my day, and it's pretty okay. Then I go to my last class from 4:00 - 7:00. I'm taking an Art Education class; it's only a 2 credit class, but I had to take it at some point, so I did it this semester. For some reason, I've been doing great! A's on everything. We presented lesson plans last week, as well, which is kind of like The Big assignment in this class, aside from some portfolio artifacts we had to do, and I got my grade of A+ back today, so of course it made me feel even better. Go today! You rock!...
Then my teacher started showing us these huge all-paper puppets past students had made, which was going to be our assignment today. We came to class prepared with a character from literature all picked out and ready to go - I had chosen Clifford the Big Red Dog, because he was one of my favorites growing up, and I was OBSESSED with the puppet they had of him at the library, so much so that my parents bought me my own eventually. So, I thought, how cute, I can make my own Clifford puppet out of paper.
Yeah, no.
I can't even begin to describe how you're supposed to make it, except for the fact that it seemed impossible. I sat in my seat for at least half of the class doing the following:
1.) Staring at the mouth of the puppet, which was what we started with and had to build off of.
2.) Trying to figure out how to make this piece of crap fold of paper look like a dog.
3.) Not figuring anything out and getting frustrated / feeling hopeless.
4.) [*here's where the hair reference comes back into play:] Telling everyone that I was trying not to cry from frustration, because I'm the girl who will cry when her hair won't cooperate after a certain amount of tries. (No lie, ask my mom - she'll hear me cry or stomp my foot or throw my brush onto the dresser and tell me to do something else and go back to it in a minute. It's just how I've always been, and will always be, no matter how infantile it seems)
5.) Threatening, out loud, to walk out without doing the assignment. "I've gotten all A's so far. I DESERVE a shitty project/grade."
6.) Creating a tongue to go in the mouth. (It came out good; however, this was followed by more of #5 regardless.)
7.) Dropping F-bombs, out loud, at any given moment.
8.) Telling my glue stick that fell onto the floor to go f*** itself.
9.) Repeating steps 1-8 over and over again, minus #6.
I'm going to assume by now you have realized just how miserable I was for three hours. I finally decided that as long as I stapled some paper together, I could just hand it in and finally go home. So that's what I did.
This was the final product:
Pretty much was miserable for nothing, because she loved it.
I need to get out of college lol. I spent my ride home belting "All The Above" by Maino to de-stress, which only irritated my TMJ, so I almost ended up with a headache in addition to a tight back and shoulders.
And, speaking of muscles (the perfect flow of this entry is now freaking me out), my legs KILL from dancing. Not like I'm not used to it, though, so it was still completely worth it.
Anyway, once I was home, my dad asked how my day was, so I was allowed to go on a HUGE verbal rant about the whole Clifford thing, and he was cracking up, which made me feel better, so I'm over it. Woo! Go Daddy!
Hmmm... Daddy and the big 4 - 9 (again) tomorrow... bahaha. No but really, I figured out the perfect idea for his birthday card... I'll post about it tomorrow after I make it and give it to him. :D
I might write another entry later tonight, but I need food. I need to post a picture of the set design I made with four of my friends for our theatre class that we presented today. Love Grey's Anatomy. <3
So like I always say, I can't make any promises. :P
HF
I completely understand what you mean when you say you have uncooperative hair. But at least yours does nice things eventually. Mine's stubborn as all hell. :D
ReplyDeleteAnd also, you're adorable. And so is your puppet.
<3 Nicole (Monfils, in case you were wondering. I started a blog last week too. But, as this page says, time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted. Blogging justified.)
Haha I saw that you were following my blog and I remember your sn so I knew it was you, it made me smile. :) I'm still getting used to this whole thing haha. I'm just used to greatestjournal and livejournal, and this is kind of the same but still really different so I've got to figured out the kinks haha. I miss you! And thanks, my puppet is at school where it belongs, because I don't want to look at it hahaha. <3
ReplyDelete