Tuesday, April 12, 2011

First Blog

Alright, so I'm not gonna lie... I've always been the girl that thinks, "Oh man, are you serious? A blog? Lame..." And yet, here I am. I'm gonna give it a go. I know bloggers are supposed to regularly update, and I'm going to try, even if they're just little boring posts about my day, but I can't make any promises! Bear with me. My days are not insanely busy, but I have those days where sometimes I just want to sit back and roam around on Facebook or play some mah-jongg or watch something on Hulu while I'm actually on my computer instead of write about a day that has been stressful; I'm sure you understand what I mean. So, with that said, here we go.

My father is turning 50 in 2 days. But I insist that he's really just turning 49 a second time. He will turn 49 and infinite amount of times from now on every April 14th for the rest of his life, I assure you. It's not that I think getting older is a bad thing, but for several reasons, I want to pretend my father is still less than half a century old. First off, because saying my father is 50 just makes ME feel old period, and I am not old by any means haha. My father has always been the man in my life, and he will always be the man in my life. He has always been strong, and energetic, and ready to try something new. He loves adventure, and I wish I had more of that in me. There is plenty of my father in me, though, and it's all the good parts, so I cannot complain. My parents did a hell of a good job putting their best in me, and I'm so lucky for it. So I don't want to say my father's 50, because 50 just sounds like he's getting old and boring, and he's nowhere close. The day my father starts to slow down, I will actually admit he's getting older. But for now, the only thing that's changed since I was a kid is that he can't pick me up and carry me around for extended periods of time anymore, but that's only because I'm 122 pounds instead of 40.

So, today is the day that we (we as in me, my mother, my sister, and my father) are going to celebrate my father's birthday for the four of us, by making our trip to Dairy Queen. When I was a kid, my parents took my sister and I to Dairy Queen when we got good report cards... which was always, so it was a nice treat. We celebrated on Sunday with one of his six sisters and her husband and my memere and pepere, and it was a delicious dinner/desert. My aunt moved into an old farmhouse in Foster a year and a half ago, and I absolutely love going over to visit, it's beautiful and she's probably the aunt that I have the most relationship with of the six, mostly because she's closest with my father so we see her more. In the last year, now that I have a car, I've been able to make a few visits on my own, as well, which is nice. My memere made a pineapple upside down cake for desert on Sunday, and it was delicious - Dad's favorite, but I'd never had one before. Apparently Mem dropped the first one on the floor. Pepere said it was a pineapple right side up cake haha I love my Pepere. He passed down the wise ass-ness to my father, and he passed it down to me, which I am very thankful for. Makes life interesting. Anyway, Memere went out and bought stuff to make a new cake. Poor thing, they all teased her. "Hey mom, do you want to bring the cake to the table?" "No, I think you'd better do it."

I just got called to fill in for a dance class tonight because the teacher's not feeling great so she'll need some help. Time to go tell mom and dad we need to head out for ice cream now if we're going to make it in time, I've got to leave to teach in an hour.

HF

No comments:

Post a Comment